Global Leadership Adventures
Global Leadership Adventures (GLA) is a summer experiences partner and provides a two-week cultural immersion and community service experience abroad in Ghana.
Beating drums, children's laughter and Ghana's warm greetings welcome you to become family in the heart of West Africa. During your time in Ghana, you will spend time developing resources for children and a village primary school and help refurbish school facilities.
You will also learn traditional African dance, batik fabric dying and drums and percussion. Your presence will infuse the school with excitement as you work towards projects to uplift and develop the surrounding school community.
See the program in action:
- Krobo, Ghana, Africa
Program Length: 2 weeks
Courses and Dates:
- July 26 - August 8, 2024
Participant Mix: Mix of students from across the country and internationally. You will have other Seattle Summer Searchers with you but may not have Summer Searchers from other regions attending in your program.
Accommodations: Rustic dorm style living, sharing a bedroom with another student of same gender identity.
Bathrooms: Shared dorm bathrooms
Phone Access: You'll have NOT access to your phone throughout the program.
COVID Policy: Proof of vaccination required.
Travel (Out of State): Summer Search will provide flight transportation to participants. (a passport or VISA is required!)
- Engage in ethical service working with children in education.
- Gain practical skills and knowledge in becoming a responsible global citizen.
- Cultivate courage, commitment and compassion in yourself and others around you.
students will get from this experience...
- Develop educational resources that will be used to tutor children at a local primary school.
- Help build and refurbish school facilities.
- Discuss current social issues facing Ghana’s women and children.
- Learn traditional African dance, batik fabric dyeing, drums and percussion.
- Explore outdoor markets, visit historic sites and hike to a beautiful waterfall.
This experience could be a good fit if you...
- Comfortable traveling outside of the United States on a plane on your own.
- Willing to complete vaccination requirements & other travel medicine recommendations.
- Vaccine Requirements: Yellow Fever & COVID.
- CDC recommends anti malaria pills for travel to Ghana (CDC Website).
- Are interested in exploring social issues facing Ghana's women and children.